Dec 14, 2008

Unforgettable Christmas

How's your Christmas season so far?

The "Unforgettable Christmas" outreach went well Friday night (December 12) at the Chi Alpha Student Center. We aimed for an interactive experience so as to make it memorable. Last month's guest speaker and his wife came and brought one of his wife's students plus their two little boys. (She teaches English on a part-time basis.) An American missionary couple, a guy from Jujo Church who's been coming the last two meetings, and a member from the University of Tokyo Chi Alpha read Bible passages about Christmas in Japanese. The student president of Waseda University's Chi Alpha was the emcee and she did a good first time job. She and I led in singing Christmas songs in English and in Japanese.

Shelley Carl, U.S. missionary, sang and played a couple of Christmas songs on the guitar and then spoke. She based her message on a new Christmas song "A Baby Changes Everything" by Faith Hill. You can hear it on YouTube here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2o1uxzI-hA&feature=related

At different times she had us get in small groups to discuss her points. We talked about unwanted pregnancy and what we would do if we knew someone in that situation. I think it was really good for Asian young people to openly talk about this. Sexuality is rarely discussed in a Christian setting in Asian churches.

Afterwards, we had a fellowship time. Yuri and I made plenty of cookies because we had leftovers. The apple cider went over well, too. One girl said it was the best she'd ever had. :)

3 comments:

Eric said...

Great to here the festivities went well!

Tom said...

I've heard that Faith Hill song too. Neat song. AS Stewphen Curtis Chapman sang God heard creation crying and sent Heaven to Earth.

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan!

Again, I'm having trouble getting e-mail to you...so I thought I'd leave a message here. I didn't make it to Missions Summit last week, but a few of my friends from XANSU went and they really enjoyed it.

Just checking in - I haven't heard from Joyce yet about the summer so I didn't know if I needed to contact her. Let me know if I need to get in touch with her please! Thank you!

-Amanda Fosburg
fosburg@nsuok.edu